Changi Airport station
|Address||70 Airport Boulevard|
Changi Airport (CG2) is a Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station on the .
|8 February 2002||Station officially opened|
|7 July 2017||Station involved in Exercise Northstar 10 (Counter terrorism)|
The earlier plans had long been made for a new line branching off from the existing East–West Line at Tanah Merah station with some conceptual plans showing a tentative route alignment up to the airport and continuing towards the city along the east coast of the island. However, the route alignment showed a deviation from previous plans. The final plan involved building only the first two stations, namely the Expo and Changi Airport stations, the underground station built between Terminal 2 and Terminal 3. The alignment of the station at the airport has been switched perpendicularly such that the station leads to two of the terminals directly from either end of the station.
Initial trains operation
Train services were initially operated as a through service from Boon Lay station when this station opened. However, to cut costs due to ridership falling below expectations, the service was reverted into shuttle service on 22 July 2003.
On 24 July 2002, a glass panel of the atria wall shattered. The area was quickly closed off, but train services were not affected.
On 24 September 2003, a man died at the station, apparently having fallen five stories from the departure hall.
2020 track cracks
On 17 January 2020, SMRT had found a crack in the crossing near this station during inspection works in the morning. Trains have to be diverted to only one platform and have to travel at a slower speed as they approach the affected crossing.
|A||Changi Airport Terminal 2, Changi Airport Jewel,|
|B||Changi Airport Terminal 3, Changi Airport Jewel,|
First/Last Train Timing
|Destination||First Train||Last Train|
|Mon − Fri||Sat||Sun & P.H.||Daily|
- More travel information: Alternative Travel Method
|Bus Stop||Exit||Bus Service|
|Changi Airport PTB2 95129
|Changi Airport PTB3 95109
- "'Gunmen', 'bombers' raid Changi Airport as agencies simulate response to terror attacks". Channel NewsAsia (17 October 2017).
- "Singapore Mass Rapid Transit Employees' Union (SMRTEU)'s annual Dinner and Dance". National Archives Singapore (15 November 1996).
- "MRT Line will not go beyond passenger terminals". Straits Times (12 December 1996)
- "Joint Press Release By Land Transport Authority And Singapore MRT Ltd Atria Wall In Changi Airport MRT Station". Ministry of Transport (24 July 2002) Archived on 16 January 2018.
- "Man Dies at Changi Airport". TODAY.
- "Slower train service to Changi Airport MRT Station until Jan 21, after crack spotted on track". TODAY (17 January 2020).
|East–West Line||[ V • T • ]|
|Stations||Pasir Ris • Tampines • Simei • Tanah Merah • Bedok • Kembangan • Eunos • Paya Lebar • Aljunied • Kallang • Lavender • Bugis • City Hall • Raffles Place • Tanjong Pagar • Outram Park • Tiong Bahru • Redhill • Queenstown • Commonwealth • Buona Vista • Dover • Clementi • Jurong East • Chinese Garden • Lakeside • Boon Lay • Pioneer • Joo Koon • Gul Circle • Tuas Crescent • Tuas West Road • Tuas Link|
|Changi Airport ExtensionTanah Merah • Expo • Changi Airport|
|Rolling Stock||151 • 651 • 751B • 151A • 151B • 151C • R151|
|Depots||Changi • Ulu Pandan • Tuas • East Coast|