Marina South Pier
|Rolling stock||C151, C651, C751B, C151A, C151B, C151C|
|Line length||45 km|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm standard gauge|
|Electrification||750V DC Third rail|
North–South Line (NSL) is the first Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) line. Traveling from one end to the other takes about 65 minutes. The line is currently 45 km long with 27 stations.
|7 November 1987||Yio Chu Kang - Toa Payoh|
|12 December 1987||Toa Payoh - Raffles Place|
|20 December 1988||Yishun - Yio Chu Kang|
|4 November 1989||Raffles Place - Marina Bay|
|Separation of and|
|10 March 1990||Jurong East - Choa Chu Kang (part of )|
|10 February 1996||Choa Chu Kang - Yishun|
|Jurong East - Choa Chu Kang integrated to|
|18 September 2010 - 19 September 2010||Jurong East - Bukit Batok suspended due to the construction of Jurong East Modification Project (JEMP)|
|27 May 2011||Jurong East Modification Project (JEMP) open|
|23 November 2014||Marina Bay - Marina South Pier|
|28 May 2017||Switched from Fixed Block Signaling system to Communication Based Train Control Signalling System|
|10 December 2017||Jurong East - Choa Chu Kang suspended due to the upgrading of signaling system on the |
|17 December 2017|
|18 May 2019 - 19 May 2019||Woodlands - Yishun suspended due to the construction of Canberra station|
|20 May 2019||Woodlands - Ang Mo Kio suspended due to the construction of Canberra station|
|2 November 2019||Canberra (Added on operational line)|
2011 train disruptions
On 15 December 2011, services between Bishan and Marina Bay stations were disrupted due to damage sustained on the power rail between Dhoby Ghaut and City Hall. Trains along the stretch were stalled and caused a service disruption until 11.40pm on that day. Two days later, a similar problem caused a seven-hour disruption between Ang Mo Kio and Marina Bay. According to the Committee of Inquiry (COI) report, both disruption was caused by damage to the third rail and the trains' collector shoes.
2015 train disruption
On 7 July 2015 at about 7.20pm, both the North–South Line and East–West Line were temporarily disrupted due to massive power trips detected along the line. Train service resumed at 10.35pm at a reduced speed. The cause of the disruption was due to damaged insulators which caused a failure to properly supply power.
2017 tunnel flooding
On 7 October 2017, a 20-hour long disruption of services started due to flooding in the tunnels between Bishan and Braddell stations due to a faulty drainage system, resulting in disruption of train services between Ang Mo Kio and Marina South Pier stations in both directions for several hours. A trackside fire between Raffles Place and Marina Bay stations further exacerbated the disruption.
Train services between Newton and Marina South Pier were restored on the day itself at about 9.20pm while full train service resumed at 1.36pm the following day after overnight efforts to clear the water in the tunnel. It was discovered that the overflowing in the tunnel was caused by a malfunction in the water pumping system, which has since been repaired.
|Station Name||Image||Working names||Notes|
|Jurong East||Jurong East||Terminus|
Future Interchange with
|Bukit Batok||Bukit Batok South|
|Bukit Gombak||Bukit Batok North|
|Brickland||Brickland||Under Planning (2030s)|
|Choa Chu Kang||Choa Chu Kang||Interchange with |
Future Interchange with
|Yew Tee||Choa Chu Kang North|
|Sungei Kadut||Sungei Kadut||Under Planning (2030s)|
|Woodlands||Woodlands Central||Interchange with|
|Yishun||Nee Soon North|
|Khatib||Nee Soon South|
|Yio Chu Kang||Yio Chu Kang|
|Ang Mo Kio||Ang Mo Kio||Future Interchange with|
|Bishan||Kampong San Teng, San Teng||Interchange with|
|Toa Payoh||Toa Payoh|
|Newton||Newton Circus||Interchange with|
|Orchard||Scotts, Orchard Boulevard||Interchange with|
|Dhoby Ghaut||Dhoby Ghaut||Interchange with and|
|City Hall||Saint Andrew's||Interchange with|
|Raffles Place||Central||Interchange with|
|Marina Bay||Telok Ayer Basin, Marina South||Interchange with and|
|Marina South Pier||Marina View, Marina Pier||Terminus|
The rolling stock consists of Kawasaki Heavy Industries C151, Siemens C651, Kawasaki Heavy Industries & Nippon Sharyo C751B, Kawasaki Heavy Industries & CSR Qingdao Sifang C151A, Kawasaki Heavy Industries & CSR Qingdao Sifang C151B and Kawasaki Heavy Industries & CRRC Qingdao Sifang C151C trains. These trains operate from Bishan Depot near Bishan station and Ulu Pandan Depot near Jurong East station.
- "LTA and SMRT gear up for disruption over the weekend". Land Transport Authority. Archived on 10 August 2017.
- "2 full-day shutdowns, shorter operating hours for 19 NSEWL MRT stations in December: LTA, SMRT". Channel NewsAsia (21 November 2017).
- "Three-Day Closure to Construct Crossover Track at Canberra Station". Land Transport Authority (8 April 2019).
- "North-South MRT Line breakdown hits thousands". Channel NewsAsia. Archived on 7 January 2012.
- "MRT breaks down again". Channel NewsAsia (17 December 2011). Archived on 7 January 2012.
- "North-South Line service resumes after 7-hour disruption". Channel NewsAsia. Archived on 7 January 2012.
- "Release of Report of COI into 15 and 17 December 2011 MRT Disruptions". Ministry of Transport.
- "LTA Media Statement: NSEWL Service Disruption". Land Transport Authority (7 July 2015).
- "Power trip on MRT network due to power fault on NSEWL". Channel NewsAsia. Archived on 27 April 2016.
- "Water in the tunnel, trackside fire caused train disruption on NSL: SMRT". Channel NewsAsia (8 October 2017). Archived on 7 October 2017.
- "NSL disruption: No train services between Ang Mo Kio, Newton 'till further notice', says SMRT". Channel NewsAsia. Archived on 8 October 2017.
- "NSL disruption: Malfunctioning water pumping system resulted in flooded MRT tunnel, says LTA". Channel NewsAsia. Archived on 8 October 2017.
|Mass Rapid Transit||[ V • T • ]|
|Overview||History • Stations • Fare and Ticketing • Facilities • Safety • Security|
|Lines||• • • • •|
|Rolling Stocks||C151 • C151A • C151B • C151C • CT251 • C651 • C751A • C751B • C751C • C830 • C830C • C951|
|FutureC851E • CJ151 • CR151 • CCR151|
|Depots||Bishan • Changi • Gali Batu • Kim Chuan • Mandai • Sengkang • Ulu Pandan • Tuas|
|FutureChangi East • East Coast • Tengah|
|Railway Lines in Singapore||[ V • T • ]|
|Mass Rapid Transit (MRT)||• • • • •|
|Light Rail Transit (LRT)||• •|
|North–South Line||[ V • T • ]|
|Stations||Jurong East • Bukit Batok • Bukit Gombak • Choa Chu Kang • Yew Tee • Kranji • Marsiling • Woodlands • Admiralty • Sembawang • Canberra • Yishun • Khatib • Yio Chu Kang • Ang Mo Kio • Bishan • Braddell • Toa Payoh • Novena • Newton • Orchard • Somerset • Dhoby Ghaut • City Hall • Raffles Place • Marina Bay • Marina South Pier|
|Rolling Stock||C151 • C151A • C151B • C151C • C651 • C751B • CR151|
|Depots||Bishan • Ulu Pandan|